What Do You Do When The Board Of Review Says “NO!”?
Here are a couple Pointers:
- In my experience the Board of Review almost shoots you down, but the appeal process at the State Tax Tribunal has a reasonable non-bias person there to look at your appeal – GO TO the Tax Tribunal!
- Don’t be scared, these are real people there to hear your case!
- Be Prepared
- Cost FREE if its your primary residence, non-homestead fee is $125
- Petition Form (appeal only assessed value)
- 35 days after you file you should receive a docket number
- 25 days later response from municipality saying they received
- Be Prepared to wait for a hearing date! They are are backed up 1.5 – 2 years
- Local hearing where both you and the assessor present evidence (same basic thing you brought to the board of review)
- 21 days prior to the hearing you will submit your evidence or a packet showing why you are appealing
- You will also recive the municipalities evidance so you can review and dispute at hearing
- About 45 days after hearing you get the ruling.
Overwhelmed? Alan Jeffries can help for a nominal fee.